<VV> Dang 40 yr old aluminum !!!!

D. Barry Ellison bars84crx at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 6 09:51:19 EST 2008

You're correct.  I've repaired several of the head studs, mainly on one side.  I agree these heads have seen too many heat cycles or a few really bad overheating spells.  Only one bad one by me - lost a belt with glare on the dash, never saw the dash light til late.

This car has the fresh air hose.  I was driving it this winter so the heater shrouds are installed as well.

I do have a different set of heads to use, but they need some serious work to get them ready.  I don't think I can ever trust 140 heads w/o reworked deep valve seats.  Then again, not sure I can trust those, either, at this point!
Thanks, if you don't hear from me dropping another one in the next year or so, welding them in worked.
Barry > CC: virtualvairs at corvair.org> Subject: Re: <VV> Dang 40 yr old aluminum !!!!> > I suspect these heads were overheated badly one or many times, #2 and > #5 usually bear the brunt of this because of the oil cooler and > (often missing) fresh air hose.> > As I recall, you also had issues with the crankcase studs, tho maybe > that was a different engine.> > Since you're now replacing the exhaust seats, that might be the > problem - those seats were able to shift enough to allow the intake > to relax. Still, it may be worthwhile to go with a completely > different set of heads.> > Good luck!> > --Bryan> > On Mar 5, 2008, at 10:24 PM, D. Barry Ellison wrote:> > > So, the bad seat areas will be welded up tomorrow, taken to the > > machine shop for 6 new exhaust valve seats and one more intake > > again. After that, we'll weld a small bead around them to hold > > them. (Is there a real need to run a bead around the entire seat > > or is two 1/4" beads 180 degrees apart enough? 3 beads at 120 > > degrees?)>