<VV> (no subject) - RTV and alternatives

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Mar 16 23:14:03 EDT 2008

Well I "think" all the RTV sealers we buy have silicone in the chemical
mix.

Even the GM one:

http://www.sdparts.com/product/12346192/GMRTVSiliconeSealantT330.aspx

But proportions change, dyes change, some afect O2 sensors more than
others, etc.

Find one you like and stick with it.

FWIW, I like the black color because it looks better than the blue
squished out of the seams.

Now for oil pan gaskets, like Harry said, make sure the pan is flat.

Do NOT tighten the bolts until they stop turning. Watch for the gasket
to pooch out at the corners. RTV seems to lubricate the gasket and it
slides (pooches) out at the corners. I like tacky sealers for these
cork/rubber gaskets. Such as :

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80062-Gasket-Sealant-Brush-Top/dp/B000HBGHB8

I also use this for most paper gaskets now. Although I also like the
spray copper tacky stuff for paper.

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=14334&affiliateid=10050

I never liked using gorilla snot  ...   I mean 3M yellow weatherstrip
adhesive (8001) for gaskets, even though 3m recommends it for gaskets.
So it must be an OK application!

Frank DuVal