<VV> Alignment Question

George Jones 65crownv8 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 10:37:12 EDT 2008

Joel,

Do an inspection on your car. Check to see that all of the bolt heads are
intact at the adjusting points. This is IMPORTANT, because you may have run
across an unscrupulous mechanic. I've had this happen at a Firestone:

Getting ready to go on a long trip in my F@#& (long time ago) so I took the
car in for an alignment and tire rotation (apartment dweller with almost no
tools). After about an hour and a half with my car on the rack, the mechanic
came in and told me that there were a number of problems with my car. 1st,
one of the wheel studs was stripped and would need replaced. 2nd, the rear
alignment (thrust angle) was not adjustable, and 3rd, did I know that one of
my Cragar wheels was damaged?

When I went out into the garage to watch him explain the problems, I noticed
that one of the bolts on the leaf springs was broken. Of course they
disavowed any knowledge of it, but I held their feet to the fire. I told
them the exposed metal had no rust or dirt on it, and after about 15 minutes
of arguing, I looked into the trash can and found the broken end of the
bolt. I also pointed out that the wheel stud was damaged by them because
their mechanic loaded up all five lugnuts into a deep well socket and
started them with an impact wrench. Which was also why the new Cragar mag
was damaged.

You gotta watch them. They will bend you over at every opportunity, and you
may never know it.

--
Ask me how you can win this 64 Monza Convertible

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s114/65CrownV8/TCC%20Project%20Car/

George Jones
Tidewater Corvair Club (since 1987)
Central Virginia Corvair Club (since 2006)
Corvair Society of America (CORSA)(since 1987)
'65 Monza Crown V8 Convertible
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2397326
'66 Monza Coupe Custom (in progress)