<VV> positraction additive -yes or no

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Thu May 1 16:27:30 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/1/2008 10:29:57 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
Sethracer at aol.com writes:

Dennis -  Be very careful about using advice in this case. Remember that the

Corvair manual transaxles share a common lube with the differential. As  far
as
I  remember, no other car uses a plate type limited-slip  differential in
common  with the transmission. Corvair guys know  this, and will take it into

consideration. For example, if you ask  Amsoil or Redline Oil for a
recommendation
on a GM "Posi" additive,  they might not know about the  commonality. In the
past, I have heard  of certain "slippery"  synthetic additives which make the
gears in  the differential last longer.  If added to the manual transmission,
the
additive makes the Synchronizers (which  rely on the friction of  engagement)
non-functional, causing grinding during  gear shifts -  every time!  -Seth
Emerson

If I recall correctly, the factor of commonality of lubricant applies only
to the manual transmission (the PG units are totally separate.) In that
case,since every manual-transmission 'Vair I have ever owned ('65's and '66's)  had
separate fill plugs for the trans. and the diff., why can't the passage that
joins the two be plugged so that limited-slip lube can be used?

Scotty from Hollyweird

favorites at AOL Food.