<VV> To gauge oil pressure or not

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio at megared.net.mx
Sat May 3 09:04:32 EDT 2008

Dave,
    I've been using pressure gauges on my vairs since 1974. The right range for Corvairs, IMO, is 0-80 psi . Go for an electric or, if mechanical, use 1/4" tubing. Pressures ?... 35-40 psi is OK.
    Advantages ?... You are monitoring oil pressure all time. I'll add the oil temp. gauge too, at least. They are a way (combined with the head temp. gauge) to know how your car's engine "feels" about oil, load and your way of driving.

    Daniel

""One thing that I haven't found in the books yet is the typical oil
pressures. I'm considering installing a gauge. Does anyone know off the top
of their heads what oil pressure range is correct with a stock oil pump?
I would also like some opinions whether a gauge is really necessary or not.
Is the stock oil pump dependable enough that I can just depend on the idiot
light? I have tested the sender and it's good. I have a 63 Spyder and am
using it as a daily driver. Sometimes I will make long freeway trips but
will mostly be driving surface streets. There will of course be times that I
will drive a little rowdy like going up into the mountains.""