<VV> To gauge oil pressure or not

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun May 4 21:55:22 EDT 2008

15 psi would light very often in a used engine when it is hot. I have
had some that would light the light with the stock sender when really
hot at idle. Ran fine.

The gage does give warning to those that watch them, but statictically
that is a lot of gage watching for a rare failure. How many bottom ends
have you seen wiped out from low oil pressure and not just a long life?
There is the chicken and the egg thing also, where the low oil pressure
is caused by worn bottom end parts, not bottom end parts worn by sudden
loss of oil pressure. So the engine was toast anyway. You just got it to
the side of the road quicker. Now if you leave the oil plug out, you
will get the light about the same instant that the gage drops to 0 Psi.
Hopefully you are looking at that instant.

The average person ( and that is not anyone here!!!) driving has no clue
what oil pressure is proper, so lights are much better for warning them.
Now, if we could just get the average driver to realize the RED light
warning means STOP and not "I'll ask what it means at the next service
appointment" !

Frank DuVal