<VV> 4 speed adjustment questions

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sun May 4 00:42:57 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/3/2008 7:05:05 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
ed.orbea at gmail.com writes:

What I  am looking for is either some real-world guidance or a better
source or  documentation, so that I can properly adjust the linkage, and
then  determine if I would also need to replace the control rod and/or
housing.

I have searched through the Virtual Vairs message archive  as well as
additional web sources, but have been unable to find any  additional
information.

Thanks

Ed - As I read through your post, I was unable to figure out whether or not
you had replaced the bushings at either end of the shifter tube. Those
bushings  keep the center tube - the one that actually does the shifting from moving
left  and right or up and down. It does not affect the rotation, it just make
the  rotation effective when it gets to the rear of the car. You will have to
remove  the shifter assembly to replace those bushings. Believe me, it is
worth doing.  The stock outer tube has plastic bushings to center the inner,
shifting,  tube The plastic bushings snap into either end, then pop out after a few
years  of use. After that happens, instead of rotating the amount needed to
select the  gears, the tube moves a bit then rotates some. That is when the
"Guess-a-gear"  linkage becomes hard, if not impossible to adjust. The kit to
replace those  bushings - at least on the late model - is Clarks P/N C001 -
That's right, their  first part number. Note - I am not sure if the same part fits
the early  shift tube. Be sure to check. - You can thank me later if this does
the trick -  or curse me if it doesn't.  <grin> - Seth  Emerson

favorites at AOL Food.