<VV> Gas tank installation

Rick Norris ricknorris at suddenlink.net
Sun May 4 09:20:43 EDT 2008

I have replaced a bunch of gas tanks in both my cars and others.
I have used Clarks Hartzels method and yes, I have an air chisel and am not
afraid to use it.
In fact, I cut up an entire Corvair with it! Never again either!
My usual method does not include any cutting of sheet metal.
I mount the small vent and large filler hoses to the tank first, tightening
the lower clamps and just snug the upper clamps in place. I use the hex head
all stainless type
and I use the hose kit from Clarks because it has the right size filler neck
hose and the hoses are rated for gasoline.
I place the filler neck up in the hole sticking it out far enough so it will
stay put.
I also smear some white lithium grease on the ends to facillitate slipping
it on the hoses.
I then install the tank after replacing the anti squeek material which I
glue inplace with 3M weatherstrip cement.
Tip: Put some on the strip and some on the sheet metal, wait a few minutes
and stick them together.
After tightening the tank retaining straps I fish the filler neck down to
the hoses. It takes a bit of finagling
but I get the hoses attached and the clamps are tightened using a 1/4" drive
ratchet with a long extension, a swivel joint
and a socket working up from the bottom.
It works for me.
ps. I use the nifty tool from Clarks to install the sender. For years I did
the usual screw driver and hammer trick.
      Right tool for the right job!

Rick Norris
#36 Sunoco Corvair.