<VV> Sources for Mechanical Fuel Pumps

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Sun May 4 23:27:10 EDT 2008

"...I also see that they (Advance) carry the mechanical pump in two  versions
for the Corvair, interesting, I was given the impression that parts for  the
Corvair were scarce... (thats another topic)
So this lends me to ask, has  anyone here had any experience with Advance
Auto Parts replacement products,  specifically the mechanical ones?..."

Didn't know about Advance having Corvair fuel pumps, but I've found NAPA  has
them. Their part number is M3988; made by Federal-Mogul. Has "Made in USA"
stamped on the cover (so at least the cover is a product of USA), and the
diaphragms are fiber reinforced. Previously, I always used pumps only  from
Corvair vendors, but kept fighting problems with fuel seepage from  between the
diaphragms and pump sections. Issue was helped by adding  Time-Serts in the lower
section of the pump (permits more  reliable gripping of the screws holding the
pump together, instead of  threads in pot metal)... but the pump seepage was
chronic with the wife's  Greenbrier (not so much with the cars?). Anyway, the
NAPA pump seems to be  holding up well (knocking on wood as I type).

Mike Mauro

favorites at AOL Food.