<VV> Oil Gallery Tap

John Bailey jbailey at daytonwa.net
Sun May 4 23:36:14 EDT 2008

It just so happens I was replacing o rings on my '61 4 door today.  I have a
plug in the location Geoffrey describes,as well as a temperature sending
unit nearby.  When I first got this car, there was a oil pressure sending
unit in this spot instead of the plug.  Acting on the advice or club members
and Lon Wall, I moved the oil pressure sender unit to the spot 1962 and
latter corvairs use (the '61 car originally had a plug in this new sender
location).  The reason:  if the oil sender failed in the pushrod location,
oil would dump on the ground and one wouldn't necessarily know all the oil
drained on the ground.  In the new location, a failed sender would spew all
over the engine compartment courtesy of the belt and pulley, but the risk of
catastrophic loss of oil would be reduced.  A new oil sender/temperature
sensor wire harness was also installed as the old harness was very ratty.
Incidentally, all my pushrod tubes were put in backwards by a previous
owner, and the o-rings were red rubber instead of viton.  I do know this car
engine had a major overhaul 10 years ago after a previous owner broke down
in Riggins, Idaho.  The pushrod tubes may have been reversed then.  Its a
wonder this car haven't had a serious pushrod tube leak until last fall- the
passenger side bank was dry - no leaks.

John B.
'61 700 4 dr - 80HP PG