<VV> LM in Winter Rally's 1964-65

Stan East sgeast at interlog.com
Sun May 4 23:38:24 EDT 2008

From: "james rice" <ricebugg at mtco.com>

All:  A while ago there was a brief discussion about LM Corvairs running in
the winter rally's in Canada. There is a guy in Australia who is racing a
'65 Vair in a vintage series. He could race in a much better class for his
car if he could find one case where a '65 ran in an event anyplace in the
world in 1964. I don't know if an International level rally would count.
But the 1st question is the date.  What was the date of the whichever winter
rally the first LM entered?

Thanks,

      Historically Yours,

                        James Rice

James

The Canadian Winter Rally was always run in late January or early February
by the British Empire Motor Club (BEMC) established in 1928. The club still
exists today and runs races at Mosport. I'm a former member. In fact my next
door neighbor was the operating steward or clerk of the course for all BEMC
races for the last 5 years. Since the Canadian Winter Rally event was after
Christmas each year the 65 could not have been entered in 1964.

http://www.bemc1928.ca/history.htm

The other winter rally was the Thunderbird organized by the University of
British Columbia Sports Car Club (UBCSCC) it was usually in mid-January.

http://www.ubcscc.com/50years.shtml

The Shell 4000 Rally from Vancouver to Montreal was in April of 1964. This
was the International Rally Event each year in Canada and it was more likely
that the other events were only National status since FIA only allowed one
International Rally per country.

http://www.shell-4000-rally.org/

The other source for information would be the Canadian Automobile Sports
Club - Ontario Region (CASC-OR) and ask them to search the archives.

 http://www.casc.on.ca/

And here is one other piece of interesting rally history regarding Corvairs
in Canada.

http://oldchevyads.blogspot.com/2008/01/trans-canada-rally-winner-newspaper-
ad.html

You might try the Press on Regardless Rally in Michigan it usually ran in
November

http://detroit-scca.org/e107/news.php

Also try Google for other links re POR

Stan East