<VV> Corvair Helicopter and Joe Burch

james rice ricebugg at mtco.com
Mon May 5 23:19:56 EDT 2008

George:  The late Joe Burch from Texas had a Corvair powered Helicopter at
the Convention in Minneapolis in 78(?)(!) or whenever it was.  I have some
pictures of it in one of my photo albums.  I have no way of knowing if it
was the same 'chopper you refer to.  Don't recall him having an airboat
there, but rattling around in the back of my memory I think I may have seen
such a critter at a convention sometime.

Joe had 3 Stingers, and was as crazy as the day is long.  Never stopped
laughing when around him.  He had a Corvair rally car at the Denver
convention in the early '80's.  The autocross was at the Castle Rock
Speedway.  He told a bunch of us he was going to drive the car off course
and down an embankment, then turn left at the bottom, and reenter the course
about a 100 yards down.  Bob Marlow was doing the announcing, and I think
his voice went up at least two octaves as he was talking about Joe and the
car as Joe did what he said he'd do.  We laughed so hard some of us all but
fell off the tower we were spectatoring from.  Seth probably remembers it.
In retrospect, I think it was the funniest thing I've ever seen done at a
convention.

Historically Yours
			James

Message: 9