<VV> EM loose Steering

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Tue May 6 14:22:20 EDT 2008

Hi People,

The steering wheel on my "new" 63 vert has way too much play in it. I have
to fight it to keep from wandering around on the road. I can hold the pitman
arm and the steering wheel has about 5 inches of play each way from center
(10 inches side to side) before the pitman arm/relay rod moves. I have
inspected the suspension and all the rubber parts have been replaced as have
the springs and shocks. All steering parts under the car look and feel
tight. The pitman arm/relay rod bushing is the new white "plastic" type and
is tight. The steering box is old and crusted with road grime. It looks like
it has never been off the car. I have checked the steering box adjustment
screw and it is all the way down below flush with the top of the lock nut.

It seems to me that the gears must be worn out. Am I correct in thinking
that a steering box rebuild kit will not fix the problem? I understand that
rebuild kits only come with bearings & seals, no gears. I also understand
that no new gears are available (except NOS if I could find any). It would
be nice to only have to purchase a rebuild kit rather than a fully rebuild
box. I also do not want to purchase a rebuild kit, disassemble the box only
to find that the gears are worn and I needed the full rebuilt box. Then I
would be off the road until I could get a box. I only want to remove the box
once if I can help it.

I have found several sources for new and rebuilt boxes. I just want to know
if I can get away with just a rebuild kit. I think I already have the
answer. I just want to confirm it.

Also, what is the correct part number on the 1963 convertible steering box?
Am I correct that 60-63 boxes are aluminum cases and are all cross
compatible? If the box is aluminum (and is a Corvair box) it is the correct
box?

Thanks,

Dave Thompson

63 Convertible Spyder