<VV> interlocks (still humor), was: Human Factor(Humor)

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed May 7 20:40:20 EDT 2008

Ron,

I was just making light of it all. Actually, what the mechanic would do is
leave it in gear and NOT pull the handbrake. Hence an invitation for a
potentially dangerous "unintended acceleration" incident, similar to the
famous case that Audi got in trouble over. In reality, THAT was what I was
ridiculing. (Shades of the recent "human factor engineering" thread!) And
yes, I DO remember the "leave in gear, turn the wheels, etc." thing in
driver ed.

-Mark

In
> fact, they teach (at least they used to) to pull up the hand brake AND
put
> it in gear when parking.  I always do.
> RonH

Such
> > an interlock is at best a misguided idea, IMHO. Though if it was in
gear,
> > could understand having it.
> >
> > An interlock would admittedly relieve the kind of occurrences I'd always
> > have after my old-time garageman would service my standard trans
Corvair.