<VV> interlocks (still humor), was: Human Factor(Humor)

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu May 8 00:08:57 EDT 2008

You are pulling our legs aren't you? Your garage man is not a ninny, he
is correct.

I have always parked my standard shift cars with the transmission in
either reverse or 1st. Read your owners manual, it says to park the car
in gear. If you own any American car with the three-on-the-tree from
1969 to now ( as if there have been any in the last 10 years or more
ggg) you will have to put the transmission in reverse to remove the key
from the steering column lock. Here is page from 71 Buick owners
manual:
http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com//manuals/Buick/1971/Owners/pages/1971%20Buick%20Skylark%20Owners%20Manual-Page%2014_jpg.htm

Saab 900s also have this reverse interlock with their floor shifter.
Those 70s cars with the floor shifter linked to the steering column also
have an interlock to have the transmission in gear to remove the key.

And clutch pedal starter interlocks are not new. They have been on most
cars and trucks since 1970. Even my 1950 Studebaker Champion  had the
interlock ( but it could be defeted with your foot if necessary).

Frank DuVal