<VV> Timing Gears - Cam and Crank Marks

Stu Padazzo MonzaProject at Comcast.net
Thu May 8 07:58:19 EDT 2008

I have a 1966 Monza 140 with Powerglide; confirmed original motor with original crank. You guys confirmed correct crank for PG last year.

- Stock crank with new Otto 20 cam and Super Cam Gear.

Following the Service Manual putting the case together I've run into this problem:

- The timing mark on the crank gear is DIRECTLY on one of it's teeth
- The timing mark on the cam gear is DIRECTLY on one of it's teeth

Therefore, you CAN NOT "line" the marks up!  They are either one tooth right of each other or one tool left of each other...

I called Clark's and they said, "As long as you can see the cam mark through the hole in the crank you're fine"... well, you can see the cam mark through the hole either way, right of the mark OR left of the mark on the crank. But you can't line them up?

The Service Manual shows a "perfect world" where the bolt holes in the crank are straight up and down and the woodruf key in the crank points left and the cam woodruf key points straight down. ON mine they are "close" either way but never "perfectly lined" no matter what side you put it on. I DON'T want to get this wrong.

What's the correct method for this set up?

Chris