<VV> Timing Gears - Cam and Crank Marks

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Thu May 8 12:31:28 EDT 2008

Stu,

IMHO, generally, you want the cam gear to be advanced rather than retarded.
By advanced, the cam lobes come up ahead of where they are supposed to be
slightly, rather than slightly behind where they are supposed to be. If the
crank (rotates CCW from rear of engine) is at TDC, remembering the cam turns
the opposite way or CW when you are at rear of engine, then you move the cam
gear toward the direction of rotation.  REMEMBER  you are looking at "front"
of engine (bellhousing end) where cam gear and crank gear mesh, so
everything is reversed.  From this perspective, crank turns CW and cam turns
CCW. Put the little ° symbol to right of tooth/line rather than to left.

Someone please check my comments.

Chuck S
BBRT