<VV> Timing Gears - Cam and Crank Marks

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Thu May 8 12:16:49 EDT 2008

Stu wrote:
<snip> I have a 1966 Monza 140 with Powerglide; confirmed original motor
with original crank. You guys confirmed correct crank for PG last year.

- Stock crank with new Otto 20 cam and Super Cam Gear.

Following the Service Manual putting the case together I've run into this
problem:

- The timing mark on the crank gear is DIRECTLY on one of it's teeth
- The timing mark on the cam gear is DIRECTLY on one of it's teeth

Therefore, you CAN NOT "line" the marks up!  They are either one tooth right
of each other or one tool left of each other. <unsnip>

Craig replies:
You have one of the "difficult" timing gears.  The "O" on the timing gear is
supposed to be at the base of the tooth, off to the left.  This puts the "O"
at the corner of the notch at the base of the tooth. I can send you a
close-up picture of an NOS gear, if you need. Normally, I'd say to
temporarily put the rear housing and balancer on, rotate the crank 360 and
see if the mark lines up with the crankcase seam at the bottom, but since
your timing mark is in the wrong place I guess that isn't going to work,
plus with the PG140 crank, it won't line up perfectly, but rather will lag a
bit. Very confusing, eh? I went through the exact same thing with a
mismarked gear on a PG140, so I've been there too.
Let's start with putting the mark in the right place.
Sorta helpful?
Craig

Checked by AVG.
5:23 PM