<VV> Repairing a failed crankcase stud thread repair

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Fri May 9 00:06:26 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/8/2008 8:49:42 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
dougmackintosh at yahoo.com writes:

Some  miscreant apparently repaired this one with a short (7/16 long)
helicoil,  which has pulled completely out of the block. From what I have read it
looks  like a 0.75 long Big-Sert is the best fix for this.

Is that right? And where can I obtain the part and tool (preferably  rental).

Hi Doug,
Many opinions here. But IMHO, if the Helicoil really pulled out you will  not
be able to use a timesert or even another Helicoil. I am not familiar with
Bigsert so that may work but be sure it is large enough in diam. Otherwise You
must go to a special insert which you can buy from Larry Claypool or make
yourself from a 1/2 -13  bolt by cutting the head off and tapping the  inside of
the bolt to 3/8-16. There are other inserts you can buy but they are  HARD to
find, say, EZ-loc or Keensert or K-sert. Get one from Larry  instead.
Regards,
Bob Helt

favorites at AOL Food.