<VV> Repairing a failed crankcase stud thread repair

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Thu May 8 23:49:06 EDT 2008

I need some advice on a crankcase stud problem. The engine I'm working on has 2 pulled out upper head studs. One is an original stud, not previously repaired, which I planned to fix with a long Time-Sert.

  The other is the # 5 Exhaust upper head stud. Some miscreant apparently repaired this one with a short (7/16 long) helicoil, which has pulled completely out of the block. From what I have read it looks like a 0.75 long Big-Sert is the best fix for this.

  Is that right? And where can I obtain the part and tool (preferably rental).

  Thanks

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on