<VV> Re Why 6000?

C. Cloutier cgc at kc.mv.com
Sat May 10 08:42:46 EDT 2008

Having been in production planning (now in finance) the reasons are
complex and probably had nothing to do with the cars themselves.

Production planning reason:  Somebody around 1966-67 looked at the parts
on hand and did the arithmetic on how fast parts were being produced vs.
how fast cars were selling.  Since sales were plumetting at that point
it was a moving target but they knew the days were numbered by then.
The final "6000" decision was probably made in early to mid '68 and
announced a few months later based on parts counts.  By announcing 6000,
they "limited" the supply to spur demand and also made sure they
actually had the parts to build those cars.

Financial reason:  Chevrolet spent millions and millions on tooling for
the LM cars.  If they spent say, $20 million and they produced LM cars
for two years, they have to take a charge of $10 million per year.  By
stretching it out one more year to 1969, it was five model years and a
tooling charge amortization of only $2 million per year.

Legal Reason:  A bunch of new safety regs kicked in in 1970
(steering/ignition interlock, new door regs, new glass regs, etc) There
was no cost / benefit for going into the 1970 model year.  (not to
mention no sales)

Or something else, too.  ;-)

Caroline - Keene, NH