<VV> oil filters and stuff

N6nev at aol.com N6nev at aol.com
Sun May 11 13:25:01 EDT 2008

Some oil filters are "full flow" and others are "by pass".  I have had  65
and later ford and Mopar towed into the shop with no oil pressure. The shop  test
 was to loosen the oil filter, a half turn and start the engine, If oil  then
came out, it was just a cloged oil filter.  G M was different as they  used a
by pass filter system, If the filter became restricted, the oil would  then
by pass the filter and no loss of oil pressure, moral of this story is use  sys
oil and change every 6 mo or 6000 miles whichever comes first, assuming you
drive you car daily....And I have has Mercedes towed into the shop with no oil
 pressure, only to find out the sub pan had a wee crack and the oil leaked
out  very slowly.. MB uses a gauge and no "red warning lite". Its best to have
both...The diesel engine was over   7K to replace and that was years  ago.....

Larry
retired auto shop owner
61  monza

favorites at AOL Food.