<VV> Head Restraints

Mr Lew Rishel lewrish at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 11 14:31:24 EDT 2008

The recent thread about 'head rests' prompts me to respond.

On or about 1 Jan '69,  as stated, the Us govmint, in its infinite wisdom,
decreed that all vehicles sold here  would be equipped with "head
restriants".  The purpose is/was to reduce the incidence of 'whiplash'
accidents due to rear end collisions.  These 'restraints' were to be
positioned  thus;  the center of the restraint is to be at the same height
as the center of the bcak of drivers (or passengers) head, and about 1 to
1/12 inches away. If the head moves no further than that from a rear end
collision, little or no damage to the neck  will result.   The restraintrs
on my 69 were of the straight kind, and were about 4 inches to the rear of
my head.   Too far to be effective in event of an accident.  Moving my head
rearward to contact the restraint resulted in an awkward and uncomfortable
position,  ergo, it is not a 'headrest'.   I think I recall seeing  later 69
vairs ( and some Camaros) with a bent (slanted)  restraint, that placed it
closer to the head.
Any of yew engeneers want to argyfy this. How 'bout yew, Hnaky-poo, whuts
yer take on this ?

Lew