<VV> LED 1157- R tail lights

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Mon May 12 12:53:42 EDT 2008

Au contrare!! The color of the LED potting material has little to do with color they emit. Most are encapsulated in clear epoxy, but the color they emit is determined by the LED chip itself, what material, what kind of doping, crystal orientation, ratio of constituents, etc. Heck, even the chip itself isn't the color of the light it's designed to emit! Red through amber look light brown under a microscope, true green through deep blue look grey, and white LED chips are coated with a yellow phospor coating!

Being an electronics geek as one of the hats I wear, here's a site with TONS of LED info:

http://members.misty.com/don/ledx.html

http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/

So, if you're REALLY interested, go explore!! If you're not, it'll be great for those sleepless nights...

John