<VV> Mag wheel lug nuts - or longer studs? Advice needed.

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed May 14 10:04:29 EDT 2008

In a message dated 5/14/2008 5:10:23 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
akinzelm at greatnortherncorp.com writes:

Guys,
I have some turbine mags I plan to mount to my 63 Monza.   The wheels are
require cylindrical bodied lug nuts.
My problem is that the  wheels are over 1" thick; and the lug nuts I have
don't have sufficient length  to engage enough threads on the studs.

Does anybody know if there are  longer lug nuts available; or whether I will
have to install longer  studs?  I was hoping to have swapped these wheels for
a tour on Saturday  and don't want to mess with longer studs.
Thanks,
Andy  K.

Yes, Andy there are longer studs and lugnuts available. Short term, buy the
long shoulder nuts. Be sure you get ones with a nice solid washer under the
head, some cheap crap is on the market. Most tire and wheel shops - the ones
with 50 or so wheels in the front windows - will have what you need. The
Corvair  has a 7/16-20 Right Hand Thread studs. If you get the long shank nuts, be
sure  to try one on the wheel - Before putting it on the car. Make sure that,
as  installed with a washer, the bottom shank of the lugnut is not so long that
it  protrudes through the backside of the wheel. If it does, the lugnut may
torque  down real nice, but not clamp the wheel in place, since it has bottomed
on the  stud. In the long term, there are longer studs available from many
sources. We  used to use the 1.75 inch Corvette studs on the late models. I am
pretty sure  they will fit the early as well. I run 3" long aftermarket studs
now. That  pretty much makes some type of power drive removal tool a
necessity.   - Seth Emerson

favorites at AOL Food.