<VV> Corvair Master cylinder

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Thu May 15 17:10:26 EDT 2008

There are loads and loads off reasons not to use it (though many people
use it successfully). It's optimal for a trailer queen, but suboptimal
for a driver. The two attributes that cause issues are its
compressibility (low pedal, sometimes no pedal, poor feel and
modulation) and its inability to absorb water (while it does not attract
water, any water that does find its way into the system will pool at the
cylinders and flash quickly to steam under only moderate heat... see "no
pedal" above)

Anyone that does use it for a driver should VERY carefully keep the
shoes adjusted (with the compressibility you have very little safety
margin on the system volume) and at least bleed the system every couple
of years. However, as I said, many Corvair drivers use it successfully
but many others have had serious issues.

IMO a much better option for drivers are the fully synthetic DOT 3/4
glycol compatibles fluids (DOT 5.1 though you won't see them marked like
that due to confusion)... temperature handling as good or better than
DOT 5 silicone, no compressibility, low moisture absorption, and less
paint damage than DOT 3/4)

For trailer queens/Sunday drivers, the brake wear and moisture entry are
less of an issue and there most people feel the silicone advantages
outweigh the negatives.

Bill