<VV> Corvair Master cylinder

jvhroberts at aol.com jvhroberts at aol.com
Fri May 16 18:04:50 EDT 2008

Actually, conventional brake fluid is a decent lubricant, and it's a glycol, not an alcohol. The reason for the silicone grease to assemble parts is purely on the basis of compatibility with the rubber components.

My only two gripes with silicone brake fluid are:

1. IT has about twice the volume compressibility of glycol fluids, and at least on modern disc brake systems, makes for a noticeably spongier pedal. On?a Corvair stock brake setup, the pressures are relatively low, and more importantly, so is the fluid volume in the lines and cylinders, as compared to a car with disc brakes.

2. In modern cars with ABS, silicone fluids are notoriously awful metal lubricants, and they WILL destroy ABS pump assemblies.