<VV> carb rebuilding questions

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sat May 17 12:03:05 EDT 2008

There are several inlet needle kits that will work in the Rochester HV. The ones designed specifically for it only have one thin gasket and the seat inlet size is .086". The one you got it your kit will work but was not made specifically for the H/HV series and so has two gaskets and two styles of hangers for the needle for it's other applications (It likely has the number 21-523 on it. The stock one is 21-514). You should, however, use the thin gasket. If you use the thicker one, you will have to bend something farther than it should be. The inlet size is  for this seat is .101", and so you can expect the carb to operate a bit richer than before. I use that particular seat in my Performance Carbs to help get the air:fuel ratio back where it should be after improving the inlet air flow. There could well be a second gasket in your seat area. Many older kits used metal gaskets and they sometimes marry up with the seat area. A gentle scraping with a small screw driver will show you some fresh metal or pop the gasket out, whichever is the case.
  The tang is to adjust the float drop. As mentioned, it essentially has one major function and that is to let the needle drop a far as practical without getting cocked. If it does not drop far enough you will get reduced inlet fuel flow. This is not as critical a measurement as the float level, but still counts.

<<there was a small bag with a new brass viton needle, seal and
gasket. Inside the bad were two red gaskets, after pulling the float off and the viton needle, I only see one. However, when I look into the upper half of the carb housing. it looks like there is another one, or is this just an imprint of the old gasket? So why two gaskets? they appear the same in diameter but have different heights, one is thicker than the other. there was a small bag with a new brass viton needle, seal and