<VV> That Simple

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 20 01:49:02 EDT 2008

It is NOT that easy - but is not that hard either, just a bit more time
consuming and maybe a little more expensive than what you are apparently
thinking at this point.

You said the car sat for years.  Well, unless there was DOT 5 in the brake
system you will need to replace all the lines, hoses, likely the wheel
cylinders (or rebuild) and also likely the MC (or rebuild).  The drums need
to be evaluated as well.  Just how rusty did they get and what are they
doing to the lining on the shoes?  Are they true - round?

The gas tank also has to come out, get cleaned and coated on the inside (or
replaced?).  That's OK because it has to come down in order to do the RF
brake line anyway.  Oh, and all new rubber connections to the tank and in
the fuel line are in order.

Ever heard of the hard - harder test?  You do it in a location (while
parked) where you will be able to work on the car when it fails the test.
Essentially, you pump the brakes half a dozen times and then grab the
steering wheel for leverage and come down as hard as you can (two feet if
yours are small) on that pedal.  This will reveal the weakest line.  Again,
replace them ALL.

The reason she lost the fan belt is because the pulleys are (well - were)
rusty and they ate the belt.  Hopefully she pulled over within a block or
two of the dash light warning.

You mentioned an island.  Is this a salty air environment?  Things rust even
faster in those conditions.  Make sure the car will STOP before you worry
about how well it will GO!  Be safe out there...  there are fewer Corvairs
every day.  Lets not wreck one for something simple that was overlooked.

Hope your friend gets many years of enjoyment out of this nice (from your
description) car.

Later, JR
CCE CORSA CORVANANTICS SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110