<VV> dot 3,5

Bill Elliott corvair at fnader.com
Tue May 20 09:13:36 EDT 2008

That can be a difficult dilemma and one which I have faced myself. It's
extremely important to ask the previous owner what brake fluid they used.

DOT 3, DOT 4, synthetic DOT 3 and 4, and  DOT 5.1 (also known as
"racing" fluid) are all "glycol based", are fully compatible, and can be
mixed with each other. The original spec was DOT3; the later fluids are
later evolutions of that original fluid, each improving on the
specifications (less hydroscopic, higher wet and dry boiling points,
etc). Any of these can be used in a Corvair containing any of the others
without worry. No reason not to use one of the "more evolved' fluids as
the price differential is minimal.

DOT 5 is a completely different fluid and is not compatible with any of
the above.  Inadvertently adding a silicone based fluid to a glycol will
cause an adverse reaction.  It is also tinted blue/purple to help
differentiate it from the other fluid types (which are generally
clear/yellow)... but complicating things are the tendancy for the DOT
5.1 manufacturers to also tint their fluids.

So if the car has clear/yellow fluid, you very likely have a glycol
based fluid. If the fluid is tinted, you likely have DOT 5, but more
investigation is in order to make sure you don't have one of the tinted
DOT 5.1's. I've actually resorted to "feel" and "smell"... the glycol
stuff feels and smells different from the DOT 5... it's a subjective
call... I've also done some "test mixing" to see what happens to
validate my choice before pouring...

Bill