<VV> EM lug studs / long lug nuts

Kinzelman, Andy akinzelm at greatnortherncorp.com
Tue May 20 12:17:08 EDT 2008

Guys,
After all of the advice I decided I wanted both longer wheel studs, and longer lug nuts.  Thursday morning I ordered longer lugnuts - but cheaped out on the shipping ($25 additional for overnight was too much) - intending to use the existing shorter lugnuts with the longer studs.  Thursday at lunch I went out & bought a full set of longer studs.
Friday I started the install.  The EMs have the brake drum riveted to the hub, so I had to remove the hubs.  Although I would have liked to remove the rivets (making future brake jobs easier) I elected to ignore that for the time being.  After having reinstalled the hubs & readjusting the brakes; Dave mounted the wheels to the car.  Afterwards he remarked - 'Is there clearance for the rivetheads in the wheels?'.  I couldn't recall, so off the wheels came.
Sure enough - there was no relief - so I removed the hubs again & proceeded to remove the rivets.  This easily doubled the time to complete the job.
In any event, the job was completed for the tour.  I will install the longer lugnuts when I get them.

Thanks for all of the advice.
Andy K.