<VV> engine temp crossing the desert

shortle shortle556 at earthlink.net
Wed May 21 10:10:18 EDT 2008

Hey All,
   I am getting my 1963 Rampside 95HP,3.55, powerglide ready to drive to Ventura next month (about 850 miles). I am most concerned with going thru the desert. My cylinder head temp gauge sits just over 350 while driving. I am running the Otto Parts oil pan and valve covers and Clarks finned trans pan with the stock FC trans cooler.I also have the 12 plate engine oil cooler with both side covers.
   Should I drive with lower shrouds removed? Should I drive in the middle of the night? Anybody have any suggestions on what I can do to make this trip a success?
As always, I thank you all.
Timothy Shortle in Durango Colorado