<VV> Cam Engine - Pic's

D. Barry Ellison bars84crx at hotmail.com
Thu May 22 08:40:47 EDT 2008

Thanks so much for the link!  The engineering drawings clearly show the R timing belt wrapped completely around the crank gear.  This proves to me there are two.  Thanks for clearing that up in my head.

The stories you posted about the 'cousin' I believe I had read before.  The 'Barney Fife' though, I had not heard.  Sounds to me like one of them is hidden somewhere as well.

Thanks for the post!Barry > From: ral1963 at comcast.net> To: bars84crx at hotmail.com; virtualvairs at corvair.org> Subject: RE: <VV> Cam Engine - Pic's> Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 20:35:57 -0500> > I upload some pic's and drawings of the cammer engine to my putfile site> > http://www.putfile.com/album/189712 > > Rick Loving> > -----Original Message-----> From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org> [mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of D. Barry Ellison> Sent: Wednesday, May 21, 2008 3:16 PM> To: virtualvairs at corvair.org> Subject: <VV> Cam Engine> > > Hopefully, some of you historians (and shall we respectfully say, "more> experienced"? <huge grin>) can shed some light on the cammer engine for me.> > I've got the cam engine picture as my desktop background. Just looking at> it quickly, I've got a couple of questions. > > 1. Cooling - there looks to be 3 fans running down the center, running on a> common shaft. I see a whole for the rear fan intake. Where were the> intakes for the other two? They don't look to be on the rear. Custom fans?> What kind? (certainly not a Corvair of any type modified to work)> > 2. To my untrained eye, the timing belt looks to be one piece, not one> running each half. I also see two tension pulleys, one on both sides. How> could there be enough surface area on the crank gear to not allow the belt> to slip? I've familiar with Honda engines and the timing belt runs over 270> degrees around it. Guessing there's < 200 around this one. What's the> minimum gear degrees/teeth needed to turn two cams pushing 12 valves? Of> course it depends on the weight it's trying to move, and at what RPM as> well... but 'generally' is my question.> > 3. Can we even verify it ever ran?> > 4. What happened to this engine? This pic is so perfect, I almost would bet> it's a digital pic, which would imply it still lives somewhere, but I> seriously doubt it. Conjecture appreciated on that one. Seems we would have> heard about it.> > 5. Do parts/plans/drawings exist? Again, Seems we would have heard about> it.> > If I had unlimited funds, full machine shop, and experience with CAD/CAM,> we'd have one or two of these around!> > "Inquiring minds want to know."BarryE in SC> 2 lates, 2 earlies > _______________________________________________> This message was sent by the VirtualVairs mailing list, all copyrights are> the property> of the writer, please attribute properly. For help,> mailto:vv-help at corvair.org> This list sponsored by the Corvair Society of America,> http://www.corvair.org/> Post messages to: VirtualVairs at corvair.org> Change your options: http://www.vv.corvair.org/mailman/options/virtualvairs > _______________________________________________>