<VV> Oil Temp in the Desert

James Davis jld at wk.net
Thu May 22 16:31:11 EDT 2008

I agree with Smitty (not an all together rare
accordance).  My 5,400 lb Corvair 140 powered
UltraVan never has had cylinder head temperatures
above 310 F even in the western mountains at 105
F ambient.  The engine oil temperatures with a 12
plate oil cooler with end plates would exceed 330
F after 30 minutes of full throttle in 3,500 to
4,500 rpm range (Oil temps measured at the
alternator adapter).  That is with a 3.89 rear
gear and a 61 style engine fan and top
shroud.  It took a 124 sqin x 1.5 inch thick
plate style external oil cooler with electric fan
to drop the oil temperatures to the tolerable
230-240 range.  Trying to push 130 ftlbs of
torque through a Powerglide for extended periods
of time cause a similar problem.
Jim Davis