<VV> engine temp crossing the desert

Ken Campbell deltainc at grm.net
Fri May 23 15:20:13 EDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: <ScottyGrover at aol.com>
Subject: Re: <VV> engine temp crossing the desert

In a message dated 5/23/2008 10:55:47 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
deltainc at grm.net writes:

Don't forget about yourselves ... I like to start  with 2 or 3  gallons of
water for each person ... and a towel to soak  and put around your neck ..
or
over head ...   the water doesn't  have to be kept on ice .. you will not be
picky once the inside of your car  hits about 118F.

hope this helps.. ken campbell, freezing in  Iawa.

Ken, just when and where were you driving that you required all that
preparation?  Plenty of water, yes--just in case of breakdown; but I lived
in
Phoenix, where it hit 100°+ daytime temps about this time of year and stayed
that
way into September--had no air conditioning in my car, and drove many
miles,
both to work and for pleasure.  I just kept the windows and vents  open, and
let the DRY desert breeze--natural or speed-induced--do the cooling  for me.

Scotty from Hollyweird
************
We used to drive out to LA or Phoenix or LV about 1 or 2 times a year back
when gas was 0.49 and motels were actually $6 or $35 ....  mostly  racing
toy cars.  Being a Pro Factory Team (g)... redundancy was a way of life ( w
i n n i n g ) and living thru that dang desert was necessary ...  without
becoming dehydrated and ill ...

dry heat my butt ... we used to have fun using our IF temp gauges on the
track surface ... 135 F ...   we actually had a nationals meet there in
Phoenix-Mesa in July one year .... ( 1986 and we won! )  except for us young
and stupid racers, there was no visible humans above ground during the day

.......... one year we spied a very nice Spirit Of America 74 Nova ( with AC
non op ) and drove it home from Phoenix ... I thought I was gonna dry up and
crack before I got up to Flagstaff . (g) ... and that was starting with 2
gallons of water and a towel. (g) .

Being young and dumb I enjoyed those years anyhow.  regards, ken campbell,
cool & humid Iwa