<VV> Fuel Mileage with a Tweaked Carb

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Mon May 26 21:17:01 EDT 2008

"... By tweaking (lowering) the float levels,  I've been able  to  maintain
(at around town & cruse speeds), between 14  to 15  A-F ratio. The car I've
done this with is a 110 with PG and dual   exhausts. I've installed in-cockpit,
dual wide band digital instruments  (by  Innovate), so I can see what is
happening under all  conditions,  side-to-side. Before float tweaking, even after
reducing  jet sizes to  under OEM speck, I could never get the system to run
leaner than about  13.5..."

The following relates to the car mentioned above: just returned from my
semiannual trip to the Florida Keys. Running between 60 to 70 mph (frequently
higher) I recorded 22 to 23 mpg with the A/C, and 25 to 26 W/O air. This car has
a high stall speed converter; so, with an OEM converter, mpg would be better,
 I'm sure... Still, not bad.

Once I check my notes, I'll broadcast the float settings. Again, this car  is
Safeguard equipped with initial timing set at 18-degrees. Careful with
leaning if you are not using a knock sensor system.

Mike Mauro

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.