<VV> 10% Ethanol Fuel

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Tue May 27 21:08:28 EDT 2008

"...Running between 60 to 70 mph (frequently higher) I recorded 22  to 23 mpg
with the A/C, and 25 to 26 W/O air. This car has a high stall speed
converter; so, with an OEM converter, mpg would be better, I'm sure... Still,  not
bad...."

Forgot to mention, above was with ethanol-contaminated fuel: here in
Florida, the legislature has mandated all gasoline sold, by 2010, shall contain  10%
Ethanol. Most fuel suppliers have accelerated the transition schedule to
NOW... hence, it is getting really hard to find 100% gasoline. All the  literature
highlights using ethanol blended fuel results in reduced fuel mileage
(alcohol converts to less BTUs than gasoline), and I've noticed a  definite
reduction of fuel mileage when using the ethanol blended  fuel. Here, the filling
stations are not required to display "ethanol" on  there street-visible pricing
marquees; rather, just a small sticker on the pump  is required. It's a real
bait n' switch.

Beyond the obvious reduction in fuel mileage, I'm concerned with potential
ethanol damage to our 60s vintage fuel systems; for instance, will the ethanol
damage the rubber fuel pump diaphrams ?

Mike Mauro

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.