<VV> 10% Ethanol Fuel

J R Read_HML hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 27 23:00:52 EDT 2008

Mike,

I'm from Illinois and the farmers grow lots of corn here.  We've had the 10%
ethanol for (probably) 10 years now.

Conventional "current?" wisdom seems to indicate that..

1. Use modern hoses in the rubber portions of the supply line.

2. The fuel pump may or may not have the modern material.  So long as it is
not allowed to dry out, you will most likely be fine.

3.  The accelerator pump cups can be problematical since the carbs do tend
to dry out over time when the car is out of use.

Most problems with the 10% ethanol fuel related to rubber components of the
fuel supply seem to occur after they have been exposed to that fuel and then
allowed to be exposed to air.  I'm only reporting what I've heard (and
partially experienced) here.  The experiences of others may vary.

Later, JR

CCE CORSA CORVANANTICS SCG member
'61 Rampside Standard 4/110
'65 Monza Convertible 4/140