<VV> concours parts, was: Front sway bar hardware

Craig Nicol nicolcs at aol.com
Fri May 30 18:19:27 EDT 2008

With all this talk about stainless, grade 5 vs grade 8, etc., I'd like to
know just what kind of parts a concours car should use, particularly
chassis parts. I'd like to use all stainless on everything, including all
the special stainless tie rods, strut rods, etc. that show up in the
Clark's catalog listings. Anything we should know about in that respect? Or
are some parts that have been repopped in stainless not such a good idea?

-Mark

Craig replies:
In our concours rules, except for factory stock, you can use any kind of
bolt you want (safe or not, we'll get to that later) as long as the bolt is
clean and perfect.  Deviations from stock simply put you in another class.

Safe or not: Deviations from the stock specifications require some thought.
Common stainless steel hardware is roughly equivalent to Grade 2, which is
considerably weaker than the grade 5 stuff that's in most Corvair suspension
applications. Higher grade stainless fasteners are costly and are not
commonly available. Switching to Grade 8 sounds logical but requires
thoughtful service adjustments since they require more torque or thread
locking compounds in order to stay tight.

Some people solve the concours problem by having two sets of fasteners: one
set for holding the car together and enduring the ravages and another set
(installed just prior to the show) that are kept in pristine condition and
are only gently installed so as to not mar their delicate surface coatings.
Personally, I think that approach is insane but that's what people do to
win.
Craig Nicol