<VV> VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 40, Issue 130

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Sat May 31 07:57:03 EDT 2008

snipped and bottom posted

Just  wondering, does old diesel fuel act the same as gas and break down to
varnish,  or is it different? I ask because I have 2 gallons that are about 3
years old.  I want to try a little diesel in the tank and then fill up so it
mixes good.  It is supposed to raise the octane level, and give you better
mileage because  it has more hydrocarbons that plain gas. I will try anything to
get better  than 13.5 mpg. Any ideas?

I'd sell it to a diesel owner for $5, or use it for road tar remover, parts cleaner or mix in some Gunk SC for heavy duty first stage degreasing.

Don't put it in an engine running on the verge of detonation already.

Diesel fuel octane is about 30.

The confusion may come from Diesels' high compression ratios.
Diesels use high compression ratios, but the compression is done dry, so the air is lying there around TDC, all hot, and waiting to pick a fight.  The fuel ignites upon injection, so what  is desired is rapid combustion (higher cetane rating) rather than delayed combustion (higher octane rating).

Dan Timberlake
Westford, Massachusetts, USA