<VV> Hockey stick

Mel Francis mfrancis at wi.rr.com
Sat May 31 12:11:53 EDT 2008

With you totally on this one, John.

Anyone who has ever worked on an assembly line, or even close to one,
knows that many special items wind up with their own nicknames,
dubbed by the very folks that have to work with them.

I have worked as a supplier of specialty composites to a Gulfstream
completion center
and among other things, produced fiberglass pockets for the installation of
in-flight phones,
wherever they were needed about the cabin. I arrived at the shipping
department
one afternoon with a bunch of these items, and the clerk got on the phone to
someone
out in the hangar, declaring  "your 'squirrel jacuzzis' have arrived!"

I had not heard that name before, only the part number, but instantly knew
what he
was referring to, since that's what it looked like. Sometimes a nickname for
a special part
is better than just a part number, since it's easier to remember, for
everyone involved and
relieves the daily tedium of part numbers.

Mel Francis
1965 Monza Conv