<VV> The Great Western Fan belt toss, Part 1

Dave Thompson dave.thompson at verizon.net
Tue Nov 4 03:01:40 EST 2008

Well, let me tell you about the 'Toss from my point of view.

Friday night, I showed up at the Orange county Fair Grounds parking lot at
6:00. I wanted to be early. I met Derek Harmsen, our Vice President. We
waited around and eventually we had nine or so assorted Corvairs along with
a half dozen other vehicles. (I never counted the cars throughout the
weekend) I led the cruise promptly at 7:00pm. The cruise was fun until we
approached Main Street Huntington Beach, the goal of the cruise. We found
that it had been closed off for a Halloween festival they were having. Not
to let that mess up our good time, I turned down the next street and then
South on Pacific Coast Highway (PCH). The weather was spectacular! There was
a full moon, about 65 degrees and slightly overcast. The clouds gently moved
across the sky, sometimes obscuring the moon for a moment; a beautiful
Halloween night. I had the top down and that last leg was one of my most
memorable times driving my little spyder. At one point, I decided to jump on
it to show my passengers how the boost gauge worked, by request, of course.
The red Corsa behind me and two other Corvairs quickly took my lead and we
all enjoyed the 3-mile straight away, screaming down PCH with the full moon
glissading across the pacific and the cool wind in our hair.

Eventually, we arrived at Newport Dunes. It is a small sandy beached lagoon
in the back of Newport Bay. At one end they have a very nice RV campground.
I have stayed there many times but that's another story. On the other side
there are a few gazebos and fire rings. Two of the rings had roaring fires
and there was a table full of hot dogs and other assorted goodies under a
gazebo, setup and provided by some of our Vintage Corsa members.  I
especially liked the chili!  We all cooked our dogs, ate goodies and
socialized. Fun was had by all.

Saturday Morning, I arrived at the fairgrounds at 5:15am.

It's 11:55 on Monday Night, I've got a big day at work so I'll give you part
two tomorrow night.

Dave Thompson

63 Spyder Vert

Westminster, CA