<VV> Early drums from Z car

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Wed Nov 5 10:44:46 EST 2008

On Nov 5, 2008, at 5:43 AM, Kenneth E Pepke wrote:

> Remember that brakes 'work' by converting energy of motion
> to heat energy ... rapidly collected in the mass of the drum or
> disc then dissipating that heat into the air over a period of
> time.

Yes, to a point.  However, if the drum can transfer the heat to the
airstream well enough to stay below the point of fade, then the
system will continue to work.  The difference is that aluminum
transfers heat far better than iron - witness what happens on a water
pumper when you change from iron to aluminum heads.  This same
advantage in transferring heat should allow an aluminum drum to run
cooler, even though its capacity as a heat sink is lower.

Bottom line - manufacturers used iron drums because they are
*cheap*.  The Al-Fin drum was developed in the 50's to improve drum
brake performance in performance applications before discs were
practical.  Once discs became practical, there wasn't any point in
making expensive drums, except for unusual applications.  I'm sure
the Nissan engineers made these drums primarily to save weight.

>   Reduction of the mass reduces the drum or discs ability
> to store heat.  It is the reason that a drum or disc has a limit
> on how much it can be resurfaced.

I disagree.  The drum needs a certain amount of physical strength to
withstand braking.  I'm pretty sure brake components are made as
light as possible otherwise.

--Bryan