<VV> Gas Brands no difference in basic formula/GM report on new TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline

Russ Moorhouse corvair65 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 5 22:20:48 EST 2008

GM has an interesting document (ID 2158982) that's available on-line at one of those sites that lists tech bulletins, recalls, etc..  This article pertains to what they call TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline.  It got my attention, because it showed the picture of a dirty valve and a clean valve that Shell usually has sitting on top of their pumps, and I figured it was just advertising B.S..

This is a new class of fuel called TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline, with enhanced detergency. It meets new, voluntary deposit control standards developed by six automotive companies.  The auto companies were Audi, BMW, GM, Honda, Toyota, and VW.

As of Nov 2006, all grades of the following brands meet the TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline Standards: Chevron, Quick-Trip, Conoco, Phillips, 76, Shell, Texaco, Sunoco- Canada, and a number of small local region stations.

As for the picture of the clean valve and the dirty valve, which I thought was advertising B.S., it was from a 10,000 mile test, with the clean intake valve from an engine running the TOP TIER gasoline and the dirty intake valve from an engine that only ran with the legal minimum additive requirement as imposed by EPA.

I can get to these tech files on my computer through a service my public library system provides and my library card number, so you may also be able to get to them through your library, but I have no problem sending it to anyone who wants a copy.  I saved it as a PDF file.

Russ Moorhouse
'65 Corsa coupe 140 HP
Kent Island, MD
http://mysite.verizon.net/corvair65/Stinky/index.htm