<VV> gm/ford bailout necessary?

Kenneth E Pepke kenpepke at juno.com
Tue Nov 11 06:38:59 EST 2008

This is another one that probably should go to 'vv talk'

I would not give quite so much credit to the Japanese for
quality.  Their quality is FAR more advertising than fact.

It seems some are forgetting the individual that really
started the downward slide of GM ... Mr. Roger Smith.
Mr. Smith, one fine morning, came in to work and
announced his 'dream for a new GM going into the 21st
century.  He proceeded to spend all the GM cash reserves
tearing down the long established [and well proven
profitable] engineering and business practices long before
replacement systems were in place.  When Mr. Smith
retired he said we would have to wait to see how
successful GM would be in the future.

History has now been written on this subject.  He was
wrong.  Almost everyone working there then already
knew we were in deep trouble.  His 'dream' was not
good enough ... he needed a solid plan.  I wonder if
Mr. Smith ever understood.
Ken P