<VV> adjusting valves - I want to believe! (one noisy one)

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Wed Nov 12 09:06:47 EST 2008

After adjusting valves cold to 1/2 turn in  from zero lash, Bryan has one
that remains a little noisy: :...one valve always has a  little "tick" to it..."
He will try going to 3/4  turn.

Bryan... I hope the new adjustment works for you,  but I fear not. It has
been my experience, if one or two valve  assemblies remain noisy, then adjusting
further in will not help. The  scenario (assumes adjusting while running):
while adjusting in, the noise goes  away; however, momentary, the noise comes
back. No amount of inward adjustment  keeps the noise from returning; except, of
course, over adjusting until the  lifter remains fully compressed... something
you do not want to do. In other  words, the lifter, once it bleeds down
following its readjustment, cannot  keep all "slop" out of the drive train. In this
scenario described, the problem  is not the adjustment: all else in the valve
drive train  being nominal, there should be no appreciable noise heard at
1/4, 1/2, 3/4,  or 1 turn in adjustment points. Noise, in a properly adjusted
hydraulic lifter  drive train, is going to be the fault of one, or a combination
of: a faulty  lifter, weak or broken valve spring, insufficient oil pressure
to the lifter, a  valve sticking partially open, bent/damaged push rod or
rocker arm (look for  closely at the face of the rocker arm where it rests on the
valve stem... needs  to be smooth with no dishing or notching), improper rocker
arm-to-valve stem  geometry (a badly worm valve guide, or an improper length
push rod are among  things leading to this problem). In short, if the lifter
is good, and properly  adjusted, then look elsewhere for the source of valve
train noise. The  following Buick site has some good generic info on causes of
noisy lifters: _http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/noisy_valve_lifters.html_
(http://www.buicks.net/shop/reference/noisy_valve_lifters.html)  .

Brian... good luck, and please report back  your findings. Thanks... Mike
Mauro
**************Get movies delivered to your mailbox. One month free from
blockbuster.com
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212639737x1200784900/aol?redir=https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/y/reg/p.26978/r.email_footer)