<VV> EM/van lower ducts '61

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Fri Nov 14 11:38:57 EST 2008

Thanks Bob, makes good sense. Another mystery of the world solved  ;>)

In a message dated 11/14/2008 8:31:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Mikeamauro at aol.com writes:

Has  anyone else noticed  the propensity--on any 61-69 Corvair--for
the  right hand damper door to trail in  opening to the left side? I suspect
it
may have something to do with unequal air  flow.

Mike  Mauro

Mike,  I've come to believe that once the cooling air has left the  top
plenum and starts over the right and left heads our cars have two cooling
"systems" because one side has the longer manifold "log" and each side will  have
blockages (that shop rag that disappeared), leaks, leaner running  cylinders, etc.
that make its cooling needs different from the other  side.  In addition the
left side has the leakage around the air  recirculation hole and the higher
cooling needs of the oil cooler.  (On  my Greenbrier there is more air leakage
around the oil filler tube).   When I purchased my first Corvair I would wonder
what was wrong when the two  damper doors opened at different times--now I
don't worry about it unless they  both haven't opened after a run in hot
weather.  On winter days, with the  heater blower on high, they frequently don't open
at all in around town  driving.

Bob Hall

 _Get  the Moviefone Toolbar_
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212774565x1200812037/aol?redir=http://toolbar.aol.com/moviefone/download.html?ncid=e
mlcntusdown00000001) . Showtimes, theaters, movie news &  more!

**************Get movies delivered to your mailbox. One month free from
blockbuster.com
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212639737x1200784900/aol?redir=https://www.blockbuster.com/signup/y/reg/p.26978/r.email_footer)