<VV> Occasional Oil Smoke puff

kaczmarek at charter.net kaczmarek at charter.net
Fri Nov 14 13:01:12 EST 2008

Let me relate a similar experience
I once did an o-ring job on my engine, and once I finished I realized I hadn't put the baffle shround under the cylinders. But I didn't go back and replace it as I should have.

I had the same problem you have, except it came from the right bank.

After about 3 months of this "Puff of blue smoke", I had a pressurized crankase---oil blew out the dipstick tube, and blew the gasket off the oil filter.

When I pulled the right cylinder head, I saw the center piston had slightly melted on the 6 o'clock position, and as the erosion increased, the smoke had gotten worse until the crankcase fully pressurized.

I replaced the piston/jug assembly, and also replaced the lower cylinder baffle at the same time. I still have the engine, and no issue until it was removed from the car.

Hank Kaczmarek
Lincolnton NC
Past V V Chairman