<VV> Rampy on E-Bay

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Sat Nov 15 11:19:26 EST 2008

I've replied offlist to Frank, sending him a picture of the rusty Lancia
that illustrates why I am not a fan of schutz (and thanks to Frank for
telling me Rhino lining is spray-on - I thought it was the kind of plastic
liner that was removable).

Here I ought perhaps to say two things, as I have had a number of replies
offlist saying I am being obsessive. I run a body shop. My job is to spot
things that have been done to conceal things. Schutz is a favourite way of
concealing things you don't want people to see. It also cuts shop time by
about 80%, because it eliminates the need for quite a lot of rubbing down -
as it conceals small imperfections it can obviously be applied at a much
earlier stage than a thin paint coat could.

Also, it is important that if you are a buyer you are aware of these issues.
I have a lot of cars brought to me where the purchaser was unaware that
schutz and bitumen could be used to conceal bondo, dents, welds or other
things. The $16000 Lancia we have in at the moment is a classic example - it
was beautifully painted, and the schutz and underseal have been very
convincingly applied. But as we go into the vehicle, is becomes increasingly
plain that there is a staggering amount of rust in the car, and that all
that has been done to fix it is that bondo has been applied (in the floor
pan too), and then schutz and bitumen over that. The car will be scrap in a
few years unless the owner spends $1-2000 a year on repairs, and it is
nowhere near as good as he thought it was.

None of those things might apply to this rampy. The owner might just like a
textured finish. It might be concealing absolutely no nasties whatsoever.
But I would want to be very certain before I parted with a lot of my money
for it. In fact I wouldn't buy it without going and eyeballing it in person.

FWIW, my opinion on why the schutz has been applied is that it is to cover
small dings and dents, not rust - there is a ding visible in the ramp, even
with the schutz on it. Now, that's fine, but the price should reflect that,
because to strip the schutz off, fix the dents and then apply a stock finish
would cost a fortune.

If anyone would like to see the Lancia horror pictures I am talking about,
please email me offlist. My only interest is to help people identify
poor-quality repairs or over-priced cars, because I meet so may people who
have been victims of these things.

Cheers

Alan