<VV> Park & linkage

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 18 13:06:18 EST 2008

>Enough already!  Either get somebody who actually knows ...

Wish that was me, but it isn't -- I'd just like to know where all this
gibberish about linkage comes from -- most GM trannies with Park use
just one more position on the shift selector, i.e., one more position
inside the transmission -- the extra link to the parking pawl is inside
the tranny.  The pawl is spring loaded and it takes no more force to
select Park than it does to select Drive, just enough travel for one
more detent.

Yes, some folks did things a bit differently, but here we are discussing
GM, are we not? (to go off topic, 'Now' would probably be a good time to
try to stock up on any new GM parts you might want to be using in the
future, like a new 'Vette.)

And, as far as I know the issues with 'no park' were ones of reduced
size of the trannie -- there simply wasn't room without making the
transmission considerably larger than the space that GM decided it had
to fit in to fit into.  It would require this internal linkage, the
"Paul" mechanism, and the output shaft locking ring -- let's see, on a
Vair Glide, where are we going to put that locking ring? -- hmmm ....
Generally you find them on the tail shaft near the speedometer gear.

Bill Strickland